FCA POSITION DESCRIPTION
Executive Vice President and Legal Counsel
Chief Support Officer
Manages Relationship with Outside Counsel
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position is responsible for managing and overseeing all ministry legal matters; providing legal advice, guidance and instruction; drafting and reviewing legal documents; and researching legal issues relevant to the work of FCA both domestically and internationally.
This position provides legal services to the CEO, Executive Leadership, Support Center departments, field offices, and FCA’s international affiliate offices. The following provisions of this description describe the attributes and functions of the position.
These responsibilities are critical to the FCA mission, and this position plays a vital role in our ministry. FCA expects all functions and responsibilities outlined below to be carried out with a heart surrendered to serving in obedience to a call from God.
- Agree with, and abide by, FCA’s Christian Community Statement.
- Follow a spiritual rhythm, including daily prayer and Bible study, seeking the Lord’s will for FCA.
- Spiritual leadership for staff, volunteers, coaches, and athletes through prayer, Bible study, worship,teaching and example.
- Connect to and participate in a local church through worship and weekly involvement.
- Affirm biblical standards of conduct, following FCA’s Christian beliefs (see FCA’s Christian Community Statement) at all times.
DEVELOP THE LEGAL STRATEGY TO PROTECT THE MINISTRY
- Provide legal advice to the CEO, Executive Team, Board of Trustees and department leaders on various legal matters impacting the ministry.
- Identify legal risks and execute a mitigation plan.
- Understand legal issues and translate them into easily understood and practical legal advice and counsel.
- Advise leadership and the Board on litigation and other adversarial or investigative proceedings and monitor and report on the progress of all such pending matters.
- Participate in formulating policies and practices for FCA related to legal compliance.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Legal Committee.
- Provide legal advice to the Board.
- Review media, public relations communications and ministry position statements.
PROVIDE IN-HOUSE LEGAL SERVICES
- Maintain working knowledge of all pertinent legal and regulatory information and provide related information and training to staff.
- Assist the Finance Department with regulatory compliance and international grants.
- Work with and monitor outside legal counsel when outsourcing legal services impacting FCA.
- Oversee insurance retained counsel in litigation.
POLICIES AND PRACTICES
- Participate in developing and drafting written FCA policies, procedures and programs to ensure legal compliance and risk mitigation.
- Advise management and Human Resources regarding domestic and international employment law matters and provide training on related issues.
- Review public relations statements and communications.
- Provide continuing counsel and guidance to FCA staff regarding laws and regulations.
CONTRACTS AND AGREEMENTS
- Prepare, draft and review legal documents including relevant state, federal and international legal agreements or filings.
- Review and approve contracts.
- Draft agreements.
- Provide general guidance or policies with respect to contract terms to seek or avoid.
- Maintain database of all ministry contracts.
TRADEMARKS AND LICENSE AGREEMENTS
- Manage and monitor domestic and international intellectual property, including filing new registrations and maintaining existing registrations.
- Monitor infringement claims.
- Advise leadership and International Sports Partners on matters related to trademark and license agreements.
- Review and approve requests for permissions to use FCA’s intellectual property.
- Manage systems and processes to preserve all relevant records of the corporation.
- Manage the collection and preservation of relevant information for discovery.
DEVELOP AND MANAGE LEGAL DEPARTMENT BUDGET
- Develop annual legal department budgets. QUALIFICATIONS
Doctor of Jurisprudence.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
A current license to practice law in at least one US state with no record of attorney discipline in any jurisdiction.
Five or more years of related professional experience with legal, compliance, litigation and risk mitigation issues in private practice, a non-profit corporation or corporate environment. Experience in dealing with international legal structures and issues. Previous experience should prepare the individual for giving mature advice on complex issues and for effective communication of complex legal matters to colleagues in leadership.
The staff attorney should be able to:
- Identify ministry opportunities and risks
- Learn about and understand the ministry of FCA and its priorities.
- Exercise sound judgment and discretion.
- Foresee long-term implications of proposed actions and understands the impact on FCA.
- Provide appropriate information or data to help make decisions.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to write clear and concise communication, policies and procedures. Ability to effectively present controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups and/or FCA Board. Ability to influence people through personal credibility, enthusiasm, and a positive style.
PROBLEM-SOLVING DECISION MAKING
Ability to apply well-reasoned thinking to various issues and practical problems. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables. Ability to analyze a problem, generate alternatives, implement solutions and follow up. Like a sports teammate, the individual must be able to work well within the leadership team.
Must be able to:
- Handle many different things at one time.
- Initiate changes to improve the effectiveness of FCA.
- Set priorities and follow through on them, creating an environment of accountability.
- Take initiative to achieve results.This position is at-will employment, meaning that either the employee or FCA can discontinue employment at any time, with or without notice and with or without cause. The Position Description does not create a contract (express or implied) or enforceable promise or representation. FCA can modify this Position Description at any time. It is not designed to cover a comprehensive list of all required activities, duties, or responsibilities. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time.
Interested Parties should contact:
Senior Executive Advisor, Fellowship of Christian Athletes 816.674.8785
Mission & Vision
Statement of Faith
CLS National Conference
The Christian Lawyer
Journal of Christian Legal
Cross & Gavel Podcast
CLS on Social Media
CLS Online Gatherings
National Conference Speakers
Find a CLA Clinic
Find a Christian Attorney
Help with a Religious
Renew Your Membership
Partner with CLS
Ways to Give to CLS
Find an Attorney Chapter
Find a Law Student Chapter