It is hard to believe we are already in the third week of Lent.
If we are honest, I’m sure some of us remembered Ash Wednesday, but for most of us, Ash Wednesday probably just rushed right by like any other normal day (it’s that billing by the hour thing).
Lent is the 40 days each year where we should take time to examine our sinful natures and draw closer to the Lord, approaching Good Friday and Easter with prayer and fasting.
“Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts. See if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” Psalm 139:23-24
I came across a unique list for fasting the other day (from the headmaster of my child’s school), and thought I should share it. It is filled with things we should give up all year long. I hope you appreciate it as much as I did.
Give up (or fast)….
- only talking to Jesus when you need something, and begin talking to Jesus as you would talk with a friend
- being selfish and protective of your stuff, time, space… (try giving your time, money, or something you own away every day)
- complaining, and each time you’re tempted to do so, stop and find something for which you can be thankful
- consumerism (buy only the essentials during Lent)
- the anger that comes with being made uncomfortable. (give up screen time, the “rights” to my comfort, my space, my silence…and work at taking delight in being inconvenienced)
- unwholesome talk (use only words that glorify God)
- not quickly apologizing or not admitting you’re wrong. (begin now to form habits of humility and grace)
- responding to your phone every time it gives a notification. (try turning it off as soon as you enter your home)
- refusing to love your neighbor (friends, neighbors, family, colleagues) as yourself (as the Good Samaritan reveals)
It is never too late to begin fasting and praying for Lent. It is my hope that this season of Lent is a time that you and those around you are blessed, always remembering the cost of the cross, the celebration of the Resurrection, and the longing for the day when He will wipe away every tear.
Mission & Vision
Statement of Faith
CLS National Conference
The Christian Lawyer
Journal of Christian Legal
Cross & Gavel Podcast
CLS on Social Media
CLS Online Gatherings
National Conference Speakers
Find a CLA Clinic
Find a Christian Attorney
Help with a Religious
Renew Your Membership
Partner with CLS
Ways to Give to CLS
Find an Attorney Chapter
Find a Law Student Chapter